Thursday 4 December 2008

Don't look back in anger

Howdy!

Recently, I got the chance to watch ‘Max Payne’ with a few of the guys from Uni.  The film is a video game adaptation, which stars Mark Wahlberg as the title character. Most video game adaptations have been box office flops and this was the same.  The story revolves around a series of murders in New York City in which DEA agent Max Payne, whose family was killed as part of a conspiracy and an assassin / Mona Sax (Mila Kunis) who is out to avenge her sister's death. The police, the mob, and a ruthless corporation hunt the duo.

I’ve never played the game so I couldn’t say if it’s faithful, but I wasn’t a fan of the movie.  Portions of the movie didn’t make sense to me; I fell asleep during the middle and eventually left before the end.  I thought the director (John Moore) was trying to make it look like ’Sin City’ type film.  Dark, depressing, moody, film-noir(ish), but it just didn’t work for me.  Mark Wahlberg gave a poor performance.  With his family brutally murdered, you would expect to feel for his character, but you don’t.  The supporting cast are no better, again you don’t care for them even though they have suffered major tragedies.  There wasn’t a lot of action sequences and the storyline just didn’t flow.  There was no rhythm or suspense.  The script failed to deliver any mystery or surprise and as an audience it wasn’t compelling to watch.   

It was quite a disappointing movie to watch and I wouldn’t  recommend to anyone.

Cheers

No comments: